Tips for Your Pet during Thunderstorms
SERVPRO of Greenville/Cleveland responds to storm damage emergencies every year, and sometimes pets get very anxious during thunderstorms. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)offers some great tips for managing your pet’s anxiety during a thunderstorm:
How to Help a Scared Pet
The good news is there are lots of things you can do at home to help your pet. Please remember that one thing does not work for all pets—so keep trying and see what works for them.
- Keep calm! Your dog is aware of your emotions; they are more likely to get upset if you are.
- Try distracting your pet by playing games. You can turn on the TV, play soft music, or give them a food puzzle or Kong filled with their favorite item are all great ways to distract your pet.
- Let them hide. If they prefer to stay under the bed, in a closet or bathroom, let them stay there.
- If your pet does not have a place to hide, consider creating a safe place for them. Interior rooms where there is less noise or flashes of light are a good place to start.
- Anxiety vests or shirts may also help your pet feel calmer
When your home or business needs storm damage restoration services, our local team is Here to Help. Call us today at 662-846-1700.